Tuesday 20 May 2008

My first keyboard!

After one of the best weekends of my life at All Tomorrow's Parties (descriptions of which don't really belong here), I returned to the following treat waiting on my doorstop:

It looks something like this.

It's a Casio ML-1, which not only lights up when you play the keys, but also has a wide range of demo tunes, from Frere Jacques to Ode To Joy. Nice.




Now, however, after a short session with my brother's screwdriver set and me prodding around in it, it looks more like this:


I've already managed to create some really interested noises and glitches by using a make-shift set up including a piece of solder attaching two precision screwdrivers and some wire clippers weighing down a troublesome slide switch. The switch is the part that will take the most thinking about as it requires constant pressure from the top down for two metal runners to activate strips on the circuit board. I'm toying with chopping the case in half to sort this so I can fiddle with the guts of the machine while it is turned on. Sounds like some sort of sexy operation.

I haven't really had time to head Maplin way just yet, but I'm hoping to pick up some wire, a battery pack, potentiometer and other bits and pieces to have a real play with it before the weekend. It's all pretty exciting, I'll try to get some sounds up soon, as well as some pictures of my first attempts at soldering wires and components in place. Wish me luck!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

just to see if you're checking your comments, give me a list of what you want and i'll go to maplin for you this week when i have nothing to do (Y)

does it still light up after you've been fiddling around with it?

James said...

My first comment :)

Yep, it still lights up. I'm thinking about replacing the LEDs (which are currently all red) with multicoloured ones.

Hooper's going to hopefully nick me some components from his work so I'll let you know if he can't get me anything!